Skip to main content
Dick Clark "America's oldest teenager."

My memories of Dick Clark is probably what most of us remember, "American Bandstand."  It changed the way we listened to pop music and introduced us to new dance moves.                                                              

I loved how in between performances Dick Clark would chat with the teens, who helped "rate-a-record," turning songs into sensations.I think most of us as teens watching longed to be a part of it all.                

Everyone showed up on "American Bandstand," from Elvis Presley to Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry to Chubby Checker, Ike and Tina Turner, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Stevie Wonder, and Simon & Garfunkel to name a few. His shows were among the first where blacks and whites performed on the same stage and the live audience seating was desegregated.

Clark's eternally youthful look earned him the nickname "America's Oldest Teenager."  He credited his appearance to good genes, saying "if you want to stay young looking, pick your parents very carefully."




"For now, Dick Clark so long," he would say with a salute. So long Dick Clark - you will be missed.






Comments

  1. To say that I loved American Bandstand would be a huge understatement! I always watched Saturday mornings while doing chores. Music is such a gift! Funny you mentioned the teens, I used to know their names & the only one I can remember is Peaches. She was a classy, sassy black girl who could really dance;)
    RIP Music man:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, forgot that my sister was on there a couple of times, too! Not as a featured dancer, but went on a couple of dates there. My sister is 13 years older than me, so it would have been sometime in the 60's...I'll have to ask her about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! that's awesome... cool your sister got to experience being there. I always wanted to go on American Bandstand and Soul Train. Two great men that introduced us to the beauty of music gone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...