Skip to main content

What's Your Name

Carolyn Murray
Arlene in the bright sweater

Carolyn Murray
Coach and Arlene
I've been hanging out with my friend Arlene and a few of her classmates from Paradise Valley High School.

A couple months ago they talked about their class reunion and suggested that I come. I told them to give me a name of someone that I could pretend to be so I could see how many classmates would act like they knew me.

So last night was the big night  - when we arrived Arlene started quizzing me before we got out of the car with what's your name, where do you live, and what year did you graduate?

We get to the door and had to stop for a name tag. As Arlene was getting hers I was slipping past to walk in inconspicuously, when she turned and said, "Do you want a name tag?"  Well that was the end of my cover.

When she asked what my name was I replied Beverly as instructed, she looked at me puzzled and said, "Who?" Arlene said, " Don't you remember Beverly?" as her classmate Rick walks past me and whispers," No, you're Janis."

I then interrupt Arlene who is still working on convincing her, and say, " I'm Janis." when I hear another voice say," No, Delores". Are you kidding me! I thought there was one black girl in the entire school...no one knows her name.

Carolyn MurrayAnyway, I finally told her that my name is Carolyn - she asked me if I was sure and said, "What year did you graduate?" I said, "77  but I didn't go to your school. I lived in Tucson"  She gave me one of her looks again - kind of  like a principal that is now clenching the pen because he's sick of your lies but has to remain calm. I got my name tag, smiled and moved on.

Once we were in the lounge we had a good time listening to the band, dancing and drinking.

I waved and smiled with my fake classmates on their videos, posed for pictures with them and danced with the 81 year old coach.

Love my fake class of 66!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people