Skip to main content

The 'N' Word

I know this is old news, but I watched The View yesterday when Whoopi Goldberg talked about how she agreed with CNN anchor Don Lemon that journalists should say the full n-word on air while reporting stories.

I'm black and find that particular word to be very degrading and offensive. But, I agree with Lemon that saying 'the n-word.' takes the value out of what that word really means when they're reporting it, regardless of what color the reporter is.


Lemon said, "I think someone should say, that person called someone 'nigger,' instead of saying 'the n-word,' because I think it sanitizes it." I agree with that.

I also agree with Whoopi. "Do not eliminate it," she said. "It's part of our history."

And Barbara Walters went on to say, "We're quoting somebody else, and it's intrinsic to what the person was saying, then you have to be able to say it."

Whoopi added, "That's what reporters are supposed to do,"

 I agree with each of them because this is about journalism. We're not talking about it being acceptable to use openly in the streets or in music.

I have never openly been called a nigger, nor have I used the word in conversation. Furthermore, I have issues when I hear the word tossed around regardless of the race, age or gender of the person that's using it. But, if my job is that of a journalist and I'm reporting on something that involves the use of the word to give the full impact of the story to my audience, should I use it because that's my job?

I think I should and I would in hopes that it would somehow educate our society.                          

What do you think?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people