Skip to main content

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently.
Carolyn Murray


There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so quick to judge based on looks, and from there we begin our list of assumptions of who they are. We create our own mental story of what type of person they are, and if they're a fit for us. If they don't fit our mold we typically continue our walk with no desire to learn more. We miss out on really knowing the beautiful creation that God has placed in our presence because we're so busy picking apart their shell. Why is it that we're so quick to create the story that we believe their life to be, instead of hearing the story of who they really are. We all have a story! What is it that makes us put up a barrier when it comes to hearing another person's truth?
Carolyn Murray


I wonder how often in the past I may have missed the good in people because I pre-judged, based on the differences?
 Anne Perry   

We need to really look deep, not just on the surface of the people that we encounter through our journey. I love eyes and have been somewhat obsessed with them since I was a child. I have always looked at the eyes of a person instead of the smile. My mother smiled, but I could always see the sadness in her eyes. I myself had mastered the smile regardless of what hell or pain I was going through. Most people were shocked when I finally shared my story, and I can only remember one person in my lifetime that didn't know my story that saw my pain. She drove right past the smile and stopped at my soul. As I stated the typical I'm fine like most hurting people do, she saw more. We all need to practice seeing more by going back to our pre-kid thought process and with an open heart that we all had not so long ago.

Peace, Love, & Hugs!

Carolyn Murray



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people