Skip to main content

Does Color Matter

Carolyn Murray
I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may have on them. When I was growing up we were taught if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Obviously that's a thing in the past. This isn't the first situation where a first grader being discriminated against has been brought to my attention. My friend that is Mexican had to pull her daughter out of the neighborhood school because the kids told her they don't like brown kids. We all know where the words are coming from, but why is my question. Are we still not educated enough to see people for people and not judge them by the color of their skin?  "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." Dr. Martin Luther King

Comments

  1. clear smart words here. I remember a lesson I did for my second graders about my growing up and seeing some of the "signs" literally of the times. It was when things truly began to change.. It is a good thing to remember' MLK and what wisdom he shared ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! You would think that it would be changing for the better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that its getting worse. I also think that a lot of people have gotten courage because of our President! Now you know how much I respect him, even though you &I don't discuss politics(because you don't like to talk about politics, Hehe, thats not a bad rule to have) But I have actually walked away from a. (good?) Friendship because the election revealed what a racist she was. Sorry,my grandson is half Hispanic, so if you're going to start in with "The race thing," Im out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people