Skip to main content

We All Make A Wrong Decision

After spending the past weekend with friends and family I started thinking about how we all at least once in our lifetime made a decision that tests our character.


I am a person that reacts. As much as I count to ten, pray first, or go to my zen place, it doesn't always work for me. Sometimes I just need to be heard, and if you're screaming and not really hearing my words I'm going to get as loud as necessary for you to hear me. It's not the best solution, trust me! But, it's my character - who I am. I could blame it on my childhood, but that would mean that I'm not taking ownership for my behavior. I don't believe it's fair as an adult to use them as an excuse for my actions in life. But, I do believe with any bond there will be some disagreement and some conflict - that's just life! We need to speak; our truths, discuss our hurts, share our joy and sadness, otherwise, it festers and it's like walking on land mines each time you're around that person. I'm personally not good at waiting for the explosion to take place. I prefer to lay it all on the table so we have an understanding of the situation and can make a sound decision on which direction to go from there.
The people that are in my life and those that know me well, understand the way that I operate and accept me flawed and all. Isn't that what we want most out of life, acceptance? I don't want to feel as if I'm wrong if I react differently than you. I don't want to be a clone of the people that I love. I just want to be accepted for who I am with no judgments.
Find the people that give you the freedom to be you, and hang on tight to them. They're the ones that inspire you to be authentic and whole regardless.

There are so many quotes about walking away from people, which I agree is necessary at times, but we must learn that when we encounter difficulties with friends and loved ones it doesn't automatically mean that you need to change the path that you're on. We shouldn't look at every trial as a reason to redirect and quit the path that we're walking, but as what God is trying to teach us? Sometimes it's not about the other person and all about the truth of who we are. Other times it is about removing people that hurt you more than love you, but whatever the lesson may be,  just don't be too quick to throw away the people that are good to you, understand you, and add meaning to your life.

This week I came across this, "If you want to appreciate your family, talk to someone that doesn't have family." 

Carolyn Murray
With all the ups and downs that come with family and friends; I would rather live with them in my life than not at all.
Carolyn Murray

What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life – to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories. – George Eliot


Peace, love, & hugs,








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locs

Yesterday I went in for my hair consultation for my locs. It's a little overwhelming trying to decide the size of locs, but this is what I decided.

Tuesday is the big day and I can't wait!

It's interesting though the responses I get from people when I say that I'm getting locs. I've gotten everything from that's interesting to don't you just let your hair get really dirty and don't comb it?

I'm well aware of how most of the world stereotypes black women by their hair. I think I've shared in past blogs how people approach me or don't approach me depending on the style of my hair.

I decided a few years ago that natural was going to be it for me. No more chemical relaxers and no flatiron on my hair daily - I'm just going to do me and people can make all the prejudgements that they want. If you're going to make a decision about me based on my hair I don't want you in my life anyway.      

I decided to grow my hair out due to a bad h…

Words...

Boy am I happy for Monday!

I had a draining Sunday due to a situation that happened and stayed in my thoughts longer than it should have. So today I'm going to write about it and release it.

A gentleman around the age of 60 that had both legs amputated decided that myself and a coworker was his verbal punching bag. As he screamed at us he always managed to say, I'm an amputee in each sentence. We both remained as calm as humanely possible, and I mentally reminded myself as the horrible and hurtful words were spewing out of his mouth - hurting people often hurt people as a result of their unresolved issues. But, what I also was reminded of  how damaging words can be.

I went home and had dinner with my family, relaxed, and did my usual night routine, but I continued hearing his hateful words. I couldn't seem to shake those thoughts. It could be that I hadn't experienced behavior as such after I left home at 18, so I wasn't mentally prepared for it, or he triggered a…

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently.


There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so quick to judge b…