Skip to main content

Memories

We made it through the night with no news on my father in law ... no news is good news at this stage.

Yesterday he was choking, coughing and having trouble swallowing due to phlegm in his throat. When hospice came to the house they confined him to bed and started him on morphine and opiates.

I'm so happy that my husband and I went to visit him a couple of weeks ago. I have such great memories of him running down the hall to catch up with my husband like he was racing to a finish line. Also, we took them out to dinner and he wanted queso dip for an appetizer but Cleo (mother in law) ordered boneless buffalo wings. When the waitress brought the order it was the queso dip - before we could tell her it  wasn't what we ordered he had a chip in his hand ready to dip. So he had his queso dip and boneless wings and was as happy as a kid in a candy shop.

We sat that evening before bed talking as we all enjoyed a glass of wine. When he spoke his speech was slow and his voice sounded as if he was whispering. But his mind and his memory was still as sharp as the day I met him.


I remember hugging him goodbye and feeling like his hunched over tiny frail body would break if I hugged too tight as he patted me gently on the back and whispered goodbye - never thinking it would be the last hug, the last pat on my back, and the last wave as we drove away.

Have a blessed Sunday... make memories!


What we do for ourselves dies with us, what we do for another, remains eternal.
Anon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people