Skip to main content

Beach House

My shot of the house
I started going through my vacation photos so I could make a couple of scrapbooks and I came across the picture I had taken of a little house that I've been admiring since 2002 when I walk the beach or walk to town.

Every time I pass this little vacant house all boarded up I seem to be drawn to it. It sits on a fenced empty lot with the front of the house facing the beach.            

I  point it out to whoever happens to be walking with me. So the night that I was walking to the Street Fair with Tom's friend and his wife I  pointed it out once again.  But his time I pointed it out to someone that knew some history of the house. She said, "That's the house that was in Top Gun." Remember the house that Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis hooked up at... that's the house!

So I did a little research and found out that the house was built in 1887 by Henry Graves, a retired doctor when Oceanside was 4 years old. It's one of the oldest beach cottages in San Diego County. It was a rental until the city bought the property in 2005 and declared it a historic site.




Photo from the Oceanside Historical Society via Zillow

The city of Oceanside has talked about restoring the historic house as part of a $100 million beachfront resort and using it as a coffee house or retail. I guess I won't be moving in!

Happy Monday!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...