Skip to main content

Kids

While watching my grandchildren that range in age from 2-12, I was thinking of how sedentary their lifestyle is. Each of them sitting with their faces staring at an electronic device, and yes that includes the 2 year old. I don't even know the correct names for all of their techie toys, nor do I know how to operate most of them. I have always been active and my children have been active and now I feel like I have not so active grandchildren... not at my house! Outside we go with a basketball, football and sidewalk chalk. The football and basketball was a no brainer for them, but hopscotch they seemed to have trouble with... didn't understand why you couldn't step on certain squares, how to roll the rock and what the point of the game is. Oh how I loved hopscotch, hula hoop and jacks when I was a kid. Anyway, as they were tossing the football the mailman walked up with a smile on his face and said, "What, kids playing outside, what's up with that?" I guess playing outdoors has become archaic in most cities, and I do understand the safety part of it, but I feel like we're raising sedentary kids. I know that there's extracurricular activities that they participate in, but there's something wonderful about being outdoors, using your imagination and connecting with the earth. My tree has become one of their favorite outdoor activities... it's a race to the top!
Carolyn Murray
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."
John Muir



Happy Climbing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people