Skip to main content
I love music! It  became my salvation as a young child. "Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach  It's still my refuge today. I can listen to a song and it will take me back to where I was and what I was doing; it allows me to forget life and get lost in the thoughts and experiences of the artist, and it gives me the power to run faster and the strength to lift more in the gym. Music is a beautiful and powerful thing. But a few months ago as I was driving home I heard a song on the radio that irritated the hell out of me. I don't find myself to be a prude when it comes to music, but this song truly rubbed me the wrong way.
It's by Snoop Dog and Wiz Khalifa featuring Bruno Mars - Young Wild and Free. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5B22KAkEk Are you kidding me? It says,
So what we get drunk?So what we smoke weed?We're just having funWe don't care who seesSo what we go out?That's how its supposed to beLiving young and wild and freehttp://www.metrolyrics.com/young-wild-free-lyrics-snoop-dogg.html
I'm not opposed to living young and free, but promoting getting high is ridiculous to me. I have a son that has struggled with addiction, so maybe this song is just too personal for me. What kind of message is this though?  I'm not asking them to be role models, but come on... Snoop Dog has kids.  Does he want them smoking weed because they're young, wild and free?Admittedly, the beat is awesome, it's the words that send me to my crazy zone. Am I just getting old ... I don't think so. Here's some more lyrics that send me over :So what I keep 'em rolled up?Saggin' my pants, not caring what I showKeep it real with my niggasKeep it player for these hoes
So what do you think... am I over reacting, too old to get it, or reading too much into this song? You tell me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people