Skip to main content

My Kinky Curly Hair

How many of you have major hair issues? I've been fighting with my hair since my first hair cut it in 6th grade. It probably didn't help that it was cut at the neighborhood barber shop - Al's in Tucson. There's times that I miss the days of my braided pigtails being held up by the rubber bands with the big colorful balls...hair life was easy back then. If you're not African American or don't have thick curly hair, you probably haven't experienced the nightmare of finding someone to give you a good cut. It was Feb 16, 2011 when I last cut my hair. I went to an acquaintance that I like and trusted - he assured me he could cut ethnic hair. I'm not going to judge him and say that he can't, but mine he couldn't. I also have to take into consideration that he had just returned from New York Fashion Week interviewing designers and celebrities for a week. As a result, he was exhausted and over booked when he returned. I know, that should have been my red flag. After that day I vowed not to cut my hair for a year.. it's almost here! The shaved hair on the side and back is grown out, and the front is now how I want it. I feel it's time to take off the bandanas and baseball caps that I've been sporting and get a style. But I feel I've come too far to  cut it all off now. I normally have a short cut that requires trimming every 6 weeks, so to go a year is huge for me. I was confident that I could do an afro again, but that's not working out either...looks like Don King's hair. To cut or not to cut, that is the question. Like Tasha Mack says, "Every time a woman cuts off her hair ...somewhere a little Black girl cries."-Tasha Mack 

Carolyn Murray
My usual style








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people