Skip to main content

Polyester and Moo-Moo's

How many of you remember your mother dressing like June Cleaver on Leave it to Beaver?  She then turns 50 and you wake up to her dressed like Thelma Harper off of Mama's Family but without the pearls.  At least that's the way it went down in my home. I remember my mother going from stiletto heels and dressing stylish to polyester pants, moo - moo's and orthopedic looking house shoes. I never really understood the transition but knew at a young age I wasn't ever crossing over. And I haven't. But I have  met many women with that same mindset that over 50 gives you the right to lose all sense of style and dress frumpy. They have a list of things they can't wear: 1. No tank tops because you shouldn't show your arms. I live in tank tops. 2. No deep v-neck or round neck shirts because you don't want to show too much of your neck. So does that mean turtlenecks year round? 3. Skirts should be below the knee. I say just wear pants then. 4. Wear flats or a small heel. I'm still sporting stilettos.  As Tim Gunn says, " If you ask yourself am I too old to wear this... you answered it." I don't ask - just buy what I like. In fact, most of the older women in my area don't ask because they're running around looking cute and hip.  They're not trading in their jeans for elastic waist band pants unless they're yoga pants or leggings. Many of them have shared with me that they don't want to look like they live in Sun City. (Retirement Community) I recently joined a site called Fab over 50 http://www.faboverfifty.com/ where a woman asked if she was to old to wear Uggs. According to Tim Gunn, she's already answered the question. Do we really need to dress by age? We're not our mothers generation of women. At least my age group isn't. We're eating right, going to the gym and rocking bodies like a 25 year old. Have you seen Jane Fonda lately? She's wearing cute hip styles and looking fabulous... she's 74. http://janefonda.com/  So here's the deal. If you like it, you feel comfortable in it and it looks good on you ... wear it! My oldest daughter is 34, the middle one is 31, and the youngest is 20 - I have some of the same clothing in my closet that is in theirs.  Ugg Boots and Miss Me jeans with the pockets blinged out  to name a few. Furthermore, as far as I'm concerned there's bigger issues in the world - it's just clothes!
The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in.
Paris Hilton

Comments

  1. I know that my style leaves a bit to be desired, always has;)
    But no moo-moo's for me! LOL
    Ok I have o fess that I wear a lot of sundresses I got in Hawaii, but technically not moo-moo's!
    Ive had people mention the long hair & I really don't care what they say...I hope to donate to "Lock's of Love" a couple of times before I go...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people