Skip to main content

Polyester and Moo-Moo's

How many of you remember your mother dressing like June Cleaver on Leave it to Beaver?  She then turns 50 and you wake up to her dressed like Thelma Harper off of Mama's Family but without the pearls.  At least that's the way it went down in my home. I remember my mother going from stiletto heels and dressing stylish to polyester pants, moo - moo's and orthopedic looking house shoes. I never really understood the transition but knew at a young age I wasn't ever crossing over. And I haven't. But I have  met many women with that same mindset that over 50 gives you the right to lose all sense of style and dress frumpy. They have a list of things they can't wear: 1. No tank tops because you shouldn't show your arms. I live in tank tops. 2. No deep v-neck or round neck shirts because you don't want to show too much of your neck. So does that mean turtlenecks year round? 3. Skirts should be below the knee. I say just wear pants then. 4. Wear flats or a small heel. I'm still sporting stilettos.  As Tim Gunn says, " If you ask yourself am I too old to wear this... you answered it." I don't ask - just buy what I like. In fact, most of the older women in my area don't ask because they're running around looking cute and hip.  They're not trading in their jeans for elastic waist band pants unless they're yoga pants or leggings. Many of them have shared with me that they don't want to look like they live in Sun City. (Retirement Community) I recently joined a site called Fab over 50 http://www.faboverfifty.com/ where a woman asked if she was to old to wear Uggs. According to Tim Gunn, she's already answered the question. Do we really need to dress by age? We're not our mothers generation of women. At least my age group isn't. We're eating right, going to the gym and rocking bodies like a 25 year old. Have you seen Jane Fonda lately? She's wearing cute hip styles and looking fabulous... she's 74. http://janefonda.com/  So here's the deal. If you like it, you feel comfortable in it and it looks good on you ... wear it! My oldest daughter is 34, the middle one is 31, and the youngest is 20 - I have some of the same clothing in my closet that is in theirs.  Ugg Boots and Miss Me jeans with the pockets blinged out  to name a few. Furthermore, as far as I'm concerned there's bigger issues in the world - it's just clothes!
The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in.
Paris Hilton

Comments

  1. I know that my style leaves a bit to be desired, always has;)
    But no moo-moo's for me! LOL
    Ok I have o fess that I wear a lot of sundresses I got in Hawaii, but technically not moo-moo's!
    Ive had people mention the long hair & I really don't care what they say...I hope to donate to "Lock's of Love" a couple of times before I go...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...