Skip to main content

35 Years Ago

Thirty five years ago I was put in a taxi cab - the driver was given instructions to take me to St. Josephs Hospital.
CMurray's Photo
Tiffanie

I gave birth that morning to my first child, my daughter...Happy Birthday Tiffanie!

I was 18 years old, unmarried and living with my parents. The father of my child (my husband of 35 years) was also living at home with his parents. We were two kids that were oddly thrown together, but would stay together forever.

He grew up in the foothills with the country club and I grew up in a middle class neighborhood. He told his mother that he would marry a black girl before he met me. As I've said numerous times before, I don't believe in coincidences.

I look at young parents today and I can't stand how the majority of them are self absorbed and disconnected from their child. If you're not ready to give your all into raising a child, DON'T HAVE SEX! There wasn't sex education classes when I was in school, and our parents didn't sit you down and explain anything about sex. Today, you know how to get pregnant and how not to get pregnant, so don't if you can't handle the responsibility.

We were 18 and broke, but worked our ass off to provide for our daughter. We may of missed a meal, but our daughter never did. We didn't shop for ourselves most days, but our daughter always had the necessities needed. I gave up continuing my education and opportunities that were once in a life time because my child was my priority. We may not of had the newest car, the biggest home or tons of money in the bank, but we had unconditional love, so everything else was unimportant, and still is today.

My life isn't about things, it's about people. My family and my friends are my life, and I thank God daily for blessing me with each one of them.

So here's to Tiffanie - 35 years ago my life changed forever. The minute I saw that little body and those dark eyes staring back at me, I knew what love was.





Comments

  1. This is simply beautiful, and so are both of you!
    Happy Birthday Tiffanie! You did a great job, Carolyn and Tom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...