Skip to main content

The Devil & Curve Balls

Still not feeling like writing today, but I did promise myself that I would write for a year, so I am.

You know how life throws you a curve ball, or the way that I look at it is the devil attacks when you're doing something positive and you take two steps forward, then suddenly you feel like you're taking three steps back. That's my life at the moment.

For those of you that don't know me well, it takes quite a bit to knock me down and take me to a spot where I begin to spiral down. But, yesterday morning I woke up feeling a bit defeated.

First of all, a really good friend of mine, Karen, sent me an email telling me that her husband Jerry has cancer and they've moved to Houston for treatment. She's in the medical field so knew where she needed to go for the best treatment. Jerry is now going through 3 different chemo treatments - I feel horrible and a bit useless. All I can offer her is prayer - so that's what I'm doing.

Secondly, The Shutter Release Project has had plenty ups and downs, but every time it's really up, someone is there to knock it back down. The other night I was already in bed when Eric called and asked if I had read a comment on facebook. He read it to me and I promised Eric and myself that I wasn't going to get out of bed and get on the computer because I didn't want to respond.

I never pull the race card, but all of the negativity we've been receiving has been about each photographer having to sell 20 tickets. I'm not going to repeat word for word what has been said, but it comes down to 2 black people (Eric & myself) receiving money,which in the racist circle, automatically means we're pocketing it.

Not that it needs to be public knowledge, but Eric and I will be lucky if we get $20 a piece out of this event, which wouldn't be profit because we both have been putting out of pocket money into this.We didn't go into it for us. Eric wanted to showcase photography to give exposure and opportunity to photographers. I wanted to give to at risk kids and see Eric fulfill his dream, and we both wanted to support, empower, mentor, and embrace the talent in our community. We both believe in paying forward and supporting our community.

I'm not going to lie, I felt a little beat up yesterday once again trying to re-store our creditability because individuals that don't know us try so hard to dis-credit us.

My question is, What are they doing positive for their community?

Life's most persistent and urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
     -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people