Skip to main content

Too Much Self Esteem

Last night I was watching Modern Family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Modern_Family_episodes
The episode had a bit about Manny (pre-teen son) who created a center piece that was ridiculous and ugly, but his mother showered him with praise and compliments on how beautiful it was, how creative he is, and how he's so good at everything. Ed O'Neill (plays the step father) asked why she makes him believe that everything he does is wonderful. He went on to say that now days kids get a badge if they cross the street. I thought isn't that the truth. The kids now are praised for everything and anything they do - they're told that they can do anything and are the best at everything. Of course you can do anything, but it requires work and you just might not be that good at it. Also, you might be the best today at whatever your forte is, but tomorrow there might be someone that's going to kick your ass at it. That's reality, that's life. Don't get me wrong, I believe in building self esteem - but how much is too much?                                  

I personally believe that we're producing generations of self-entitled kids that think the world owes them - something needs to change.

An excess of praise may be doing kids more harm than good according to a 2006 report on education from the Brookings Institution’s Brown Center. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/29/are-kids-getting-too-much-praise/

"Contrary to popular belief, praising children's intelligence did not give them confidence and did not make them learn better," said Carol Dweck, a professor of developmental psychology at Stanford University and author of "Mindset: The New Psychology of Success." http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmericanFamily/story?id=2877896&page=1#.T1jPq0ax


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...