Skip to main content

Stop Complaining

 Sunday at church my pastor said something that I find myself still thinking about today. He said. "We are the God of our stories." I love that statement. It actually reminded me of a quote that I always loved stating that it's never to late to have the childhood you wanted. We often spend so much time dwelling on all of the bad things that have happened to us, all the things we wish we had done and all the negatives in our life, that we get stuck. We forget or take for granted all of the positive and good things in our life. We need to focus on the good things in our lives, and the good in ourselves.                                                                

He went on to say that many things we'll understand about life, and many things we won't understand about life. But, we need to quit complaining about every little thing and begin to live. In fact, he challenged us to go 21 days without complaining. He said he found himself complaining about things like his back hurting, fingers being sore from learning how to play the guitar, and even the pig on the Geico commercial squealing wee as he rolls down the hill.

I found myself when I walked out of church ready to complain about my hair, my allergies, and my feet hurting from my heels. But, I stopped myself and thought, at least I have hair, I'm able to go outdoors, so what if there's some sneezing involved, and I'm thankful I have feet to hurt. So what do I really have to  complain about?  Therefore, I'm taking on the challenge - who knows, I might be complaining about the challenge before 21 days is up.


A famous World War I pilot, Eddie Rickenbaker, once drifted in a life raft for about 21 days in Pacific Ocean lost. He survived the ordeal  - When Eddie was finally rescued he said, “For the rest of my life, if I have a roof over my head and food, I will never complain about anything.”

I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes -- until I met a man who had no feet.
Jewish Proverb
If I were to say, ''God, why me?'' about the bad things, then I should have said, ''God, why me?'' about the good things that happened in my life.
Arthur Ashe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...