Skip to main content

Can You Sing

I waited awhile to blog about this, I guess just out of respect for Whitney Houston. But I was at a club the weekend of her death. I was sitting with two friends when this cowboy guy came up to me and asked if I was a big fan of Whitney Houston. Before I answered the question I was thinking, why - is it because I am the only black female in your vicinity. Anyway, I answered the question with yes, I loved her, were you a fan? He said not really, and proceeded to share with me his philosophy on having a last high. He then leaned towards me and with a huge grin he whispered, "Can you sing?" No, I replied. "Are you sure?" Oh absolutely I'm sure. He looked puzzled and said, "Can you carry a tune?" Nope, can't carry a tune. "Come on, sure you can, sing something," he said.

Are you kidding me...what is it with people. Apparently all black people can sing, just like all cowboys chew tobacco. I honestly think he expected me to stand up and belt out I will Always Love You.

My friend told me that I should of said to him that I'm only half black so I got the dancing gene.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people