Skip to main content

What's Wrong With Bald?

As I sat in the car at Fry's Electronics waiting for my husband, I was doing my usual people watching. It was all pretty uneventful until I noticed a young woman getting out of her car looking stylish and sporting a bald head. I don't find that to be extremely unusual, but apparently others do. I kept my eye on her once I noticed people walking past her and turning their head like she was a freak of nature.

She walked with a bounce in her step like she was loving life and didn't have a care in the world. I admired her confidence as she held her head high looking in the eye of those passing by, but people continually turned their heads in the other direction like they would insult her by looking her way. Remember, I'm a black woman, and believe me I know that body language well. My question is why? This was a young attractive white woman, so color wasn't the issue. Are we really so shallow that we have even become brain washed by what a woman's hair should look like. I realize we live in a judgemental world, but come on, really? I've seen many bald women that look beautiful, and what about Amber Rose... being bald has not hurt her in the least. http://www.askmen.com/celebs/women/model/amber-rose/

It makes sense to me why so many of our young girls suffer from low self- esteem and eating disorders. There's so much pressure from our society to fit a mold of what we perceive as normal.

Hold your heads up high ladies and embrace who you are. It's all about loving and accepting yourself regardless of looks - it's who you are as a person that's important. Who has the right to judge anyone for their differences anyway? As young girls and women we need to empower each other by accepting each other as people... not by our appearance.                                                                                                                          

I witnessed both men and women trying hard to sneak a peek as she walked past. In fact, what I've experienced over the years is it's the women that are usually the judgemental ones when it comes to other women. Grow up ladies...I'm raising my wine glass to differences - may they always exist so we don't become clones. Cheers!


The beauty of empowering others is that your own power is not diminished in the process. - Barbara Colorose

"Accept everything about yourself - -I mean everything, You are you and that is the beginning and the end - -no apologies, no regrets." -Clark Moustakas 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people