Skip to main content

Lover of Valentine's Day

Valentines Day is just around the corner. Personally that's one holiday (if you can call it that) I've never bought into. My feeling is, it's just another overly commercialized day that retailers guilt people to spend money on. I shared that opinion with my 10 year old granddaughter, and her response was, "How can you not like Valentine's Day, it's a day of love."

Do you really have to take one day out of 365 of them to show and tell someone that you love and care about them? I don't think so. I pick up random gift items for  the people in my life through out the year, along with putting cards in the mail, or sending a text message when I'm thinking of them. I know it's fun for kids... they get to pick out a cute box of cards for their classmates and decorate boxes to put them in, but truthfully, it gave me anxiety as a kid. I had the stress of creating a beautiful box that would be displayed in the classroom, and then the headache of what card to give to what kid. I can't give a greeting card that the message isn't right for that particular person - There has to be thought behind it for me.

So take some time to think about what it is that you love about Valentine's Day. Is it the material items that just end up becoming sentimental possession's?  I know that I don't want or need a stuffed animal, or balloons... not interested in chocolate unless I happen to be craving it on Feb. 14th, and lingerie is a word that's not in my vocabulary. But who am I?

I'm not telling any of you romantics to quit your yearly routine of celebrating the day. I just ask that you spread the same love through out the entire year versus a designated day. Maybe there should be a Just Because Day.

There's some really funny definitions of Valentines Day in the Urban Dictionary... at least I think they are.  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=valentine's%20day







Happy February 14th!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people