Skip to main content

How's Your Sleep

OMG Facts tweeted yesterday that you can survive days without eating but will live 11 days from not sleeping. http://www.omg-facts.com/ I'm teetering on being sleep deprived at the moment.

My 2 year old granddaughter has been staying the night and she won't sleep in her room.  She is a 2 year old that is the height of most 4 year olds, and she sleeps horizontally. It's not bad the nights that I get her head in my chest, but when its a night of the feet and getting kicked... forget about it. No sleep!

I did some research and of course there has always been pros and cons about children sleeping in the same bed. Dr. Phil is opposed to it  - one of his reasons is it can cause regressive behavior. http://drphil.com/articles/article/114 Personally I disagree - I loved having my kids by me and saw no side effects from it. They knew that they were always welcome in my bed, so naturally the same rule goes for the grandkids. It's just this is the first time having a little giant that sleeps crooked in it.

http://www.redbookmag.com/kids-family/advice/cosleeping-parents-kids

I believe co-sleeping, the family bed, or whatever you want to call it is a personal choice like breast feeding. What you decide is best for your child and you is the way you should go. "Currently, most child development experts, even those who were previously opposed to co-sleeping, take a middle-ground position on a family-that-sleeps-together policy. Most now admit that an issue this personal has to be decided by you, taking your own family's needs and cultural background into consideration." http://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/co-sleeping/the-family-bed/


Happy Sleeping!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...