Skip to main content

Sunday Dinners

Sunday as I was getting caught up on my cleaning and laundry I started thinking about the days when Sundays were strictly reserved for family time.

As a child Sunday was always the day that you just hung out at the house as a big meal was being prepared. My parents tiny kitchen became a busy assembly line while the younger ones stayed out of the way. Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity to partake in the preparation of our Sunday meals, but some of my best childhood memories are from our Sunday dinners.                                                                                                                                                            

This tradition continued when I had my children. We always knew that on Sunday at 11 o'clock we went to my parents home for some good old southern  cooking. There were many times that we felt it was a chore to get there, but we always showed up, and was always on time. As I look back I'm not sure if we made the effort to attend out of respect, or if it was just following years of tradition. I do know at times it wasn't the company, but back then we followed the rule if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all... so you didn't. It was just time spent together as a family no matter what your feelings or opinion was of another. You sat as a family with the food playing the role of the healer and the the peace maker. There's something to be said about family dinners.

For all of you that have managed to keep Sunday as a day for family - I applaud you. I think for most, the good old days of family dinners are gone.

Grandpa Tell Me Bout The Good Old Days, by The Judds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E88RUqyjts This song always reminds me of what life once was for most of us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people