Skip to main content

Being A Housewife

housewife [ˈhaʊsˌwaɪf]
n pl -wives
1. (Sociology) a woman, typically a married woman, who keeps house, usually without having paid employment.

I find myself laughing at all the young girls in their 20's posting on twitter that they want to major in being a housewife. I'm curious what their definition of one would be. 

I have worked outside of the home and have been a stay at home mom/housewife. Personally, I enjoy both positions, but I equally enjoy making money. Although I'm home at the moment, I'm always trying to figure out a way to hustle a dollar, but that's just me. To stay home sit and do nothing doesn't exist in my world, besides doing nothing would drive me insane. I run my home like I would my business. Things need to get done correctly and efficiently - some days you put in 12 hours, and typically you don't have weekends off. 

I know with all of the reality Housewives shows many young women might get the perception that being a housewife is socializing and fighting with your friends over ridiculous petty things as you drink your wine. Yes, the shows are entertaining, but reality it's not.. unless you are fortunate/lucky enough to marry the top plastic surgeon or a professional athlete, but for most - not going to happen. I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I'm a realist. 
Most likely you'll be changing your babies diapers, getting up for feedings and cleaning your own house.  (includes scrubbing toilets) Furthermore, you won't have your own make-up artist and stylist coming to your home so you're always looking fabulous. And let's not forget getting gym time in because that can become a challenge. Some days lifting the kids, moving the furniture, bending to pick up toys and pushing the vacuum is your exercise for the day. Also, you will need to learn how shop for items other than shoes and clothes. Such as, food. You will also have to learn how to prepare the food that you purchase and continue to do this little task daily.                                                                                                      

I'm not trying to discourage you if you feel that this is your forte. I say more power to you if being a housewife is what you want to do with your life, but realize it's usually a thankless job, and it's work.

Being a housewife and a mother is the biggest job in the world, but if it doesn't interest you, don't do it - I would have made a terrible mother. (Quote by - Katharine Hepburn) 

To be a housewife is to be a member of a very peculiar occupation, one with characteristics like no other. The nature of the duties to be performed, the method of payment, the form of supervision, the tenure system, the market in which the workers find jobs, and the physical hazzards are all very different from the way things are in other occupations. (Quote by - Barbara Bergmann) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people