Skip to main content

I had a really good conversation on Sunday with a group regarding sobriety, speaking our truth, and communicating when you need help.

It made me think about myself because I have an addictive personality and I was hearing behavior patterns that I have. I've learned to control my impulses over the years so they don't become obsessive and unhealthy for me. Also, my choice of addiction wasn't as problematic as drugs or alcohol. I was addicted to working out. I worked out like a crazy woman for several years. I'd start my morning teaching high impact aerobics, from there I'd go to an aerobic class so I could really workout - next to an hour choreographing class, and on to the weight room. Once I was home I'd put in a minimum of 3 hours putting aerobic dance routines together, and then my husband and I would hit the gym together at night for 1-2 hours of a workout. I did this 7 days a week - working out was my drug. It made me not have to think about anything else, I enjoyed it, and it made me feel good. I was told countless times by my fitness cohorts that I needed to cut back. Their main reason was because I was going to burn out before I completed getting my degree in health and fitness, but I didn't see a problem.

I finally came to a tiny realization that I was a bit obsessive when I was in bed sick with the flu, running a high fever, and my body ached from head to toe. All that I could think about and all that I wanted to do was workout. I didn't care if that workout was going to put me in the hospital...I needed that adrenalin  rush.
My husband was on a hunting trip that weekend so I called a girlfriend over to watch the kids so I could at least go for a run in the wash. When she saw how sick I was she lectured me on how insane I was and there was no way I could workout. I remember barely being able to lift my head up off the pillow but begging her to let me go. I know this analogy sounds silly when you think of drug or alcohol addiction. My workouts aren't even a close comparison to being addicted to a substance, and I know that me cutting back or quitting working out is nothing in comparison to the fight of getting clean and sober and staying clean and sober. My point is I know how easy it is to get hooked on something and how hard it is to let it go when it's filling a void. I was in college working out because I had to. I would have never thought that my first high impact aerobics class would slowly suck me in and I would birth an unhealthy behavior.

Today looking back I know that I was avoiding thinking about my life. If I thought about it that would mean I would have to dig deep and deal with issues that I was trying to forget. I used/abused working out because it made me forget, made me happy, and I felt good. Isn't that what we all want - to feel good and be happy. Seriously, who really wants to dig deep and have shitty feelings resurface? I didn't!

It wasn't easy accepting my true feelings, forgiving people that caused my pain, or taking ownership of my behavior. Digging deep sucks, but it's necessary for healing. It's like vomiting - you feel better once it's out. But it's still a process after it's out. It takes work and time, and some days you don't want to climb out of bed because of the hurt and the pain. But at the end of it all the reward is peace and freedom from whats been holding you hostage. That my friends is a great feeling and makes it all worth reliving the sadness and hurt. Don't give up the fight - you deserve a healthy and happy life. You're worth it!




Love yourself today, be happy, and be kind!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locs

Yesterday I went in for my hair consultation for my locs. It's a little overwhelming trying to decide the size of locs, but this is what I decided.

Tuesday is the big day and I can't wait!

It's interesting though the responses I get from people when I say that I'm getting locs. I've gotten everything from that's interesting to don't you just let your hair get really dirty and don't comb it?

I'm well aware of how most of the world stereotypes black women by their hair. I think I've shared in past blogs how people approach me or don't approach me depending on the style of my hair.

I decided a few years ago that natural was going to be it for me. No more chemical relaxers and no flatiron on my hair daily - I'm just going to do me and people can make all the prejudgements that they want. If you're going to make a decision about me based on my hair I don't want you in my life anyway.      

I decided to grow my hair out due to a bad h…

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently.


There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so quick to judge b…

Words...

Boy am I happy for Monday!

I had a draining Sunday due to a situation that happened and stayed in my thoughts longer than it should have. So today I'm going to write about it and release it.

A gentleman around the age of 60 that had both legs amputated decided that myself and a coworker was his verbal punching bag. As he screamed at us he always managed to say, I'm an amputee in each sentence. We both remained as calm as humanely possible, and I mentally reminded myself as the horrible and hurtful words were spewing out of his mouth - hurting people often hurt people as a result of their unresolved issues. But, what I also was reminded of  how damaging words can be.

I went home and had dinner with my family, relaxed, and did my usual night routine, but I continued hearing his hateful words. I couldn't seem to shake those thoughts. It could be that I hadn't experienced behavior as such after I left home at 18, so I wasn't mentally prepared for it, or he triggered a…