Skip to main content

Happy Easter!

Yesterday two of my daughters, one grandchild, and a co-worker went to Tempe to help serve food at Moeur Park. Several church groups and individuals have been doing this every Saturday for several years.

As I sat waiting for the food to arrive I watched as the line of people continued to grow as they entered from different directions of the park. At a glance I wouldn't guess that some of them would need food. For me my thought process was that they would all be homeless, but that wasn't the case. Some have jobs, some have a place to live, but there's not enough money for food. It's sad and ridiculous to me that in 2014 hunger still exists.
"Why should there be hunger and privation in any land, in any city, at any table when [we have] the resources and the scientific know-how to provide all [hu]mankind with the basic necessities of life? ... There is no deficit in human resources; the deficit is in human will."

— Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

While I was serving food a man stopped and looked at me and pointed to my Bent not Broken T-shirt that I was wearing. He said, "What's your story?" I replied with, "Let me finish serving food and I'll find you and share it with you."

His name is Michael and we talked about our life. He listened with no interruptions as I shared a quick summation of my life and how my t-shirts are my story. We then shared stories about struggles, judgement, and waiting too long to make changes in life. His friend or wife ( I didn't ask) shared with me her story and offered prayer for me and my family. She said, "That's all that I can give anyone because I don't have anything else to give."  I said, " You giving that to me is huge."  I knew at that moment after speaking with them that I wanted to give them a t-shirt. What I didn't know is that others had asked where to get one because there was meaning to them in those three words.  

As we walked around handing out t-shirts I was overwhelmed by how thankful they all were.What they didn't know is how thankful I was for them allowing me in their life. The smiles on their faces melted my heart. It was a day of blessings for each of us.

I plan on spending every Saturday connecting with people that would probably never cross my path in my journey. I can't expect changes in this world if I don't take the time to make a difference.

 "I have one life and one chance to make it count for something… My faith demands that I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long as I can with whatever I have to try to make a difference.
— Jimmy Carter



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people