Skip to main content

Little Boy

I went to Big Lots - seemed to pull up, get out of the car and walk in at the same time with a woman with a little boy around 3 years of age.

You could tell that her son is ill. His skin color looked like he was burned in a tanning booth, and his baldness didn't look like a child that is just getting hair.

We both walked over to the shopping carts pulling one out - as she placed her son in the cart and gave him the lecture that they weren't there to buy him anything we headed off in opposite directions.

As I was ending my shopping I decided to venture over to the back of the store and look at Christmas items. As I rounded the  corner there he was - the cart parked in front of a musical Christmas decoration with no mom in sight. I placed my cart beside him with no words exchanged and watched as he repeatedly pushed the button and was filled with joy each time like a typical 3 year old. While I watched him play I wondered how a mother could leave her child unattended in a shopping cart. All I could think of was Ronan, 4 year old Phoenix boy that lost his life to cancer, and how his mother would love to be given another day of pushing a cart with her son in it.

After approximately 5 minutes of me standing by him I finally see her peek her head from an isle. When she saw me standing by him she begin talking to him from a distance saying that they weren't buying Christmas stuff today as she quickly walked towards the cart. When we were finally face to face she smiled at me - my face was stern as I looked in her eyes . Her expression changed, no words were exchanged, and once again we went in opposite directions.

I just couldn't understand the ignorance and carelessness of an adult woman leaving her child unattended, and maybe I should of verbalized that to her, but I don't know her story or what it's like to have a sick child. What I do know is that having a child is the greatest gift in life, and as a mother it's our job to protect and keep our children safe... maybe she's not there yet, or maybe it was just one of those days for her, but my silence spoke volumes to her by the expression on her face and the look in her eyes - she seemed lost and sad with a silent thanks.

All I know is that I can't get his little face out of my head. I don't know anything about him - not even his name, but he's now in my mind and in my prayers.


A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.
Agatha Christie quotes  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people