Skip to main content

Don't Expect Anything If You Suck

Father's Day is just a few days away!



Yesterday I took two of my grandchildren to do a a few Fathers Day projects at my friends Homespun Preschool. http://homespunmakeittakeitcrafts.blogspot.com/ As we were working with them it dawned on us that a few of the children (including mine) don't have a father active in their life. So why not make it for their mothers was our thought. In today's society there are moms playing the role of both, and vise versa, and there are some that don't deserve the father or mother title. So do we really need to have a specific day honoring either one?

There are so many children that haven't met their dads, or their dads are just not active in their life. It's difficult for them to understand and hard to explain. I know this for a fact because I have my 5 year old granddaughter asking where dad is all the time. Thankfully she's blessed with other male figures in her life that have stepped in to try and fill that void, but it's not dad. I know by now most of you are thinking that I'm one of those people that think every one's a winner, there's no I in team, and we need to make everyone happy all of the time - not the case! I just don't think we necessarily need a designated day to be honored for something that we chose to be - a parent! If you made the choice to have children and keep them, then do your job at being a parent. Love and raise them to the best of your ability - because that's what you're suppose to do. You don't need to be recognized or rewarded for it.


I grew up feeling pressured to give cards and gifts to a man that didn't do his job as a father, but he was honored every year for an honor that he didn't deserve. I feel the same about moms on Mother's Day so don't think I'm just picking on the dads. If you suck as a parent you need to take ownership of that and don't expect anything from your child/children. Am I bitter? Just a little because I'm sick and tired of expectations that society places on us. If you have great people in your life that you love, honor and admire - share that with them when ever you feel the need. It doesn't have to be a specific day that is recognized by the world. You don't have to buy into another commercialized money making day, and you don't have to feel hurt or like the odd one out because you have an absent parent or one that sucks. Just do what feels right to you.

My Disclaimer: All of my venting/opinions is coming from my personal experience and it's just that - my opinion. Don't start boycotting and stop doing what you've been doing if it feels right in your heart and makes your soul happy.

Peace, Love & Hugs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people