Skip to main content

My Life Journey


My Sisters

Before I continue with my journey I want to say that I have never thought of or introduced my sisters as half sisters, so I will be referring to them as my sisters.


The Birth and The Truth

My sister Anna was in 8th grade, the year was 1966 when she gave birth to a daughter. I was young, but in my heart I knew that this was my father's child. There was never a conversation because we didn't talk about anything real as a family, it was all just fluff.

It wasn't until July of 1990 on the day before my father's funeral that my sister Anna spoke her truth. I was 31, and for the first time I saw her power and strength. I was thrilled that she had found her voice. I'm sure many thought her timing could have been better, but it was genius. She had her stage, and sometimes you only get one chance in life, and this was hers!


She had the entire family waiting for her to take her turn and say something noble and grand about the evil man that dictated her life and stole away her childhood. But she was done pretending, so she spoke the truth with conviction in her voice, and in front of relatives that always knew the truth but didn't have the balls, oops, I mean the courage, to do anything about it.

I scanned the room with joy in my heart as I looked at the faces of everyone sitting around my mothers living room. It was just moments before that they were struggling to share positive memories about him, and now the truth was being told. She didn't stop with just revealing her truth; she shared that my older sister's child was my fathers as well. It was priceless! I did feel empathy for my sister/nieces hearing it in this way, but I  was so happy that she had ended the charade. They all knew, and I knew that they did, so I wasn't buying and of the shocked faces.
My Aunt Lurlean begin walking out of the room, but I wasn't going to allow it. Not this time! She had turned and walked away too many times in my lifetime knowing what her brother was. I stopped her, and as I looked into her eyes I asked, "why?"
"Why didn't you do anything?" She smiled at me and said, "I knew you were going to be okay." I call bullshit on that answer. It wasn't just about me, there was an entire family that needed rescuing, and I wasn't okay. None of us were.


How Could I Leave Them 

My mother cared for both of my sister/nieces and raised them as if they were her own. I was always told that they were my sisters, so that was the story I stuck with for many years until I spoke my truth. The older I became I often wondered how my sisters and mother must have felt keeping that secret and living that lie. I also had wondered when it happened?
I do remember my father in different bedrooms, but never in the room with my mother. She slept in the living room on a hideabed. I remember my father in my bed, but I don't have any recollection of anything happening;  just one night of me feeling horribly uncomfortable and pushing my body as far away from him as possible. I still remember how cold my bedroom wall felt that night as I pretended to sleep. I can't remember if that was the first night or the last night he crawled into bed with me, but in my heart I believed we had an unspoken agreement after that night that he would never touch me. I'm sure with extensive therapy I would be able to remember if anything ever happened, but I'm fine never knowing that truth.

That night was the beginning of me becoming an extremely light sleeper. I became tired of protecting myself, and angry at the world for me living this way. I hated carrying the sack of lies that had been gifted to me, but I never thought of telling. I just remained quiet, hopeful and determined that one day I would escape, as I struggled with how I could leave them all behind to face this monster alone. This life made me hurt, and I wanted the pain to end.



Until next time!

Peace, love, & hugs!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locs

Yesterday I went in for my hair consultation for my locs. It's a little overwhelming trying to decide the size of locs, but this is what I decided.

Tuesday is the big day and I can't wait!

It's interesting though the responses I get from people when I say that I'm getting locs. I've gotten everything from that's interesting to don't you just let your hair get really dirty and don't comb it?

I'm well aware of how most of the world stereotypes black women by their hair. I think I've shared in past blogs how people approach me or don't approach me depending on the style of my hair.

I decided a few years ago that natural was going to be it for me. No more chemical relaxers and no flatiron on my hair daily - I'm just going to do me and people can make all the prejudgements that they want. If you're going to make a decision about me based on my hair I don't want you in my life anyway.      

I decided to grow my hair out due to a bad h…

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently.


There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so quick to judge b…

Words...

Boy am I happy for Monday!

I had a draining Sunday due to a situation that happened and stayed in my thoughts longer than it should have. So today I'm going to write about it and release it.

A gentleman around the age of 60 that had both legs amputated decided that myself and a coworker was his verbal punching bag. As he screamed at us he always managed to say, I'm an amputee in each sentence. We both remained as calm as humanely possible, and I mentally reminded myself as the horrible and hurtful words were spewing out of his mouth - hurting people often hurt people as a result of their unresolved issues. But, what I also was reminded of  how damaging words can be.

I went home and had dinner with my family, relaxed, and did my usual night routine, but I continued hearing his hateful words. I couldn't seem to shake those thoughts. It could be that I hadn't experienced behavior as such after I left home at 18, so I wasn't mentally prepared for it, or he triggered a…