Skip to main content

Thank You Emma

I learned something about myself when the grey hairs started creeping in quicker and quicker - I'm a little vain. Initially I thought I could embrace it, but I wasn't getting the beautiful white head of hair that I could love. Seeing the grey at my roots and along the side by my ears just wasn't working for me, so I decided to fight it with going blonde.



I had scheduled my appointment a week before I went to Vegas, which gave me too much time to think about my transformation. I'm much better at being spontaneous when I want a drastic change - too much thought leads me to anxiety. I came home with a list of reasons not to do it. Such as, what if my skin color is too dark, what if it ends up orange or yellow, what if I end up bald? I received confirmation through this on how hard change really is, so I knew that I had to face my fears or there would be no change. This holds true to every thing in life - we can't get different results by doing the same thing. So a blonde I am!
What I really want to share today is a reminder of how God places people in our paths when we least expect it. I was reminded of this yesterday at the salon. It was a first time visit for me so I didn't know who would be my stylist. As I sat looking around I was drawn to the ones with the edgy cuts and fun hair colors. I was wondering which one I would get when this young girl with a soft voice and normal hair ( not a risk taker by the look of her) called my name. My first thought was, are you kidding me? As we walked to her station and I sat, I could barely hear her as she spoke to me. I have to admit I immediately prayed for guidance on my decision, but as I prayed I was drawn to her eyes, and it was at that moment that I really looked at her. I saw sadness. As she quietly worked I put my mom hat on and started asking questions and pointing out things, such as she shouldn't wear shoes like that to stand all day because she's going to ruin her feet. She explained she woke up late and her ride was waiting and she couldn't find the right shoes. So, you stayed up to late was my next question. She explained how her mother is ill and she dropped out of school at 14 to help support the family, so she was up doing what needs to be done around the house, not partying like I had thought. Her voice finally became more than a whisper as she said, " This is what I have to do right now, but I don't really know what I want to do with my life. I never had the opportunity to play a sport or be in a club, but I do know that I'm a humble person. I'm not above anyone, but I'm not beneath anyone either, and I will always continue to educate myself. There's always something to learn." As she shared her story my heart broke, and I knew why I was sitting in her chair. We had 3 hours of a great conversation that left me inspired by her strength and commitment to her family and to God. Her name is Emma and I prayed for her while she shared her story and worked her magic on making me fabulous. I will continue to keep her in my prayers. Here's a young girl that could have gone in a lot of different directions, but she's doing right. 
The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it. ~ H. Norman Schwarzkopf

 I'm so thankful that I met her. So here's to Emma that changed my look and touched my heart...blessings to this sweet girl.

Peace, love & hugs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people