Skip to main content

Get Your Happy

"It is only possible to live happily-ever-after
on a day-to-day basis"
-Margaret Bonnano

I mentioned in my blog last week that there was only one time in my life that I couldn't fake a smile or climb out of the dark hole that I had fallen into. It was one time because from that experience I realized that happiness was something that I had to cultivate on a daily basis. It wasn't possible for me to live years of dysfunction and live happily ever after by walking out the door of my childhood home. I didn't want to keep reflecting on any misfortunes that had occurred in my past. I had come far enough and had acknowledged that stuff happens to everyone. I knew that my experience was nothing in comparison to what others endure. I'm not giving my parents a get out of jail card for situations that should have never happened. I just needed to move past it so I could close all of my open wounds and become a happy being.

"The word 'happiness' would lose its meaning if it were
not balanced by sadness."
-Carl Jumg

I still had days that I felt like a boulder had landed on me, but I had to remind myself that this is the reality of life for everyone, and I was still healing. It's only natural that I would crash into some rocks on the ride. In fact, I'm always going to have a day that I hit some rocks regardless of how healed or happy I am. I just have to stay focused on what I want for me on that particular day. I know what I don't want is to ever again feel like I want to die; so I stay focused on all the good in my life, even in those struggling years. And, I'm thankful.

I had spent too many years focusing on what ifs, on escaping, and hating that I had lost sight of all of the greatness that had also been a huge part of my life. I grew up with shelter, food, great health, amazing friends in school, awesome co-workers, and incredible opportunities that seemed to always come my way. I now had a marriage and healthy children. I stopped giving power to my past hurts by not reflecting on them every time my life shook a little. I had to let the past go in order to find my happy.

It's easy to say that we want happiness, but a whole other thing to be happy. We have to recognize that it's up to us to create our happiness - lose the thought that someone else will fill that need. If you want it you have to choose it. Make your thoughts become a garden that you cultivate with beauty, goodness, and graciousness. I had to quit looking at the weeds that were in my soul to see how beautiful my garden really was. 

I know by now several of you are tired of me talking about happiness. Before I really became a happy person I couldn't stand happy people either. I would dissect every single one of them that crossed my path. You know them...the checker that is way too nice and cheerful as she's ringing up your groceries. The crossing guard that smiles and waves as you pass by. The aerobics instructor that is way too bouncy and bubbly. Oh, and lets not forget the huggers - I hated them! (still not a hugger lover) But, when I became happy, I got it. They had found their happy, and happiness is its own reward.


Peace, Love, & Hugs!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people