Skip to main content

Being a Grandparent

It's Grandparents Day!

I didn't have the pleasure of growing up with my grandparents. I vaguely remember my grandfather on my mothers side, but obviously no real bonding took place since I have no memories of us. But, what I do remember is once I started grade school I longed for grandparents in my life. As I sat hearing other children talk about theirs I became envious. I wanted that experience, and to be honest, I built up some resentment against my parents for not allowing me the opportunity. The whole idea of grandparents was just a fairy tale to me, until I became a grandparent.

I thank God everyday for allowing me to be in the same city with mine, and allowing me to be a part of their lives. I am proud to say that I am a grandmother of 9 beautiful and healthy grandchildren. Each of them bring something different to the table, but everyone of  them has touched my heart and softened my soul over the years. They have helped me in my personal journey in ways that they will never know. One is the old me being a perfectionist. It was just yesterday while I was shopping with one of my daughters looking at china, place mats, and wine glasses, that I said, "what happened to my life - nothing matches in my house anymore." I use to be obsessed with this perfect living environment. Now my stuff has been spit up on, spilled on, cracked, chipped, broken, and honestly, I don't care! I've thrown out stuff that I didn't think I could ever part with, but I finally realized it's just stuff. I can always get more stuff, but I only have this moment in my life to create lasting memories. So thank you for destroying stuff and curing my perfectionism!

Also, my grandchildren don't judge my quirkiness and imperfections - they just accept me as I am. They're okay with me singing out loud, busting out a dance move, my funky haircuts, crazy hair colors, tattoos, and my all time favorite - eating cake for breakfast!

Some of my best conversations and fondest memories started at age 3 as we would sit enjoying a cup of coffee together talking about life. You would be amazed on how much wisdom and honesty they have. A lot can be learned from a child's perspective. I'm not ashamed to say they taught me a lot. Unfortunately, they have to grow up - which has stolen some time away from me, but I have to thank God that the communication between us hasn't stopped. I think we've planted enough seeds in each others hearts that our memories and love will grow eternally.


Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation.
-Lois Wyse

CMurray
Our Grandchildren

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people