Skip to main content

Being a Grandparent

It's Grandparents Day!

I didn't have the pleasure of growing up with my grandparents. I vaguely remember my grandfather on my mothers side, but obviously no real bonding took place since I have no memories of us. But, what I do remember is once I started grade school I longed for grandparents in my life. As I sat hearing other children talk about theirs I became envious. I wanted that experience, and to be honest, I built up some resentment against my parents for not allowing me the opportunity. The whole idea of grandparents was just a fairy tale to me, until I became a grandparent.

I thank God everyday for allowing me to be in the same city with mine, and allowing me to be a part of their lives. I am proud to say that I am a grandmother of 9 beautiful and healthy grandchildren. Each of them bring something different to the table, but everyone of  them has touched my heart and softened my soul over the years. They have helped me in my personal journey in ways that they will never know. One is the old me being a perfectionist. It was just yesterday while I was shopping with one of my daughters looking at china, place mats, and wine glasses, that I said, "what happened to my life - nothing matches in my house anymore." I use to be obsessed with this perfect living environment. Now my stuff has been spit up on, spilled on, cracked, chipped, broken, and honestly, I don't care! I've thrown out stuff that I didn't think I could ever part with, but I finally realized it's just stuff. I can always get more stuff, but I only have this moment in my life to create lasting memories. So thank you for destroying stuff and curing my perfectionism!

Also, my grandchildren don't judge my quirkiness and imperfections - they just accept me as I am. They're okay with me singing out loud, busting out a dance move, my funky haircuts, crazy hair colors, tattoos, and my all time favorite - eating cake for breakfast!

Some of my best conversations and fondest memories started at age 3 as we would sit enjoying a cup of coffee together talking about life. You would be amazed on how much wisdom and honesty they have. A lot can be learned from a child's perspective. I'm not ashamed to say they taught me a lot. Unfortunately, they have to grow up - which has stolen some time away from me, but I have to thank God that the communication between us hasn't stopped. I think we've planted enough seeds in each others hearts that our memories and love will grow eternally.


Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation.
-Lois Wyse

CMurray
Our Grandchildren

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locs

Yesterday I went in for my hair consultation for my locs. It's a little overwhelming trying to decide the size of locs, but this is what I decided.

Tuesday is the big day and I can't wait!

It's interesting though the responses I get from people when I say that I'm getting locs. I've gotten everything from that's interesting to don't you just let your hair get really dirty and don't comb it?

I'm well aware of how most of the world stereotypes black women by their hair. I think I've shared in past blogs how people approach me or don't approach me depending on the style of my hair.

I decided a few years ago that natural was going to be it for me. No more chemical relaxers and no flatiron on my hair daily - I'm just going to do me and people can make all the prejudgements that they want. If you're going to make a decision about me based on my hair I don't want you in my life anyway.      

I decided to grow my hair out due to a bad h…

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently.


There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so quick to judge b…

Words...

Boy am I happy for Monday!

I had a draining Sunday due to a situation that happened and stayed in my thoughts longer than it should have. So today I'm going to write about it and release it.

A gentleman around the age of 60 that had both legs amputated decided that myself and a coworker was his verbal punching bag. As he screamed at us he always managed to say, I'm an amputee in each sentence. We both remained as calm as humanely possible, and I mentally reminded myself as the horrible and hurtful words were spewing out of his mouth - hurting people often hurt people as a result of their unresolved issues. But, what I also was reminded of  how damaging words can be.

I went home and had dinner with my family, relaxed, and did my usual night routine, but I continued hearing his hateful words. I couldn't seem to shake those thoughts. It could be that I hadn't experienced behavior as such after I left home at 18, so I wasn't mentally prepared for it, or he triggered a…