Skip to main content

My Week

I celebrated my 36th Wedding Anniversary on May 31st. I don't know where the years went because it surely doesn't seem like 36 years.

We didn't do anything outrageous to celebrate - dinner out and cupcakes from Sprinkles and Gigis from our daughters. Also, a beautiful Bone China salad bowl and plates from my oldest daughter. It was all very thoughtful... we are truly blessed to have such giving and thoughtful children.


On Saturday June 1st we finally had the opportunity to visit our son in rehab. They only allow a 2 hour visit so of course we were there right when visitation started.
I wish I had my camera ready to capture the look on his face when he came around the corner. I hadn't seen that smile or the happiness in his eyes for several years. His skin looks good, his body is strong and healthy, and he is filled with gratitude. He talked about how for the first time in years he feels like himself again. He remembers once again who his higher power is and he thanks God for saving him. He shared stories with us about him almost losing his life in 2007. He was only 17 in 2007 - I thank God for sparing his life.
Carolyn MurrayMakenna was happy to see her Dad. She had been saying to me that her daddy wasn't coming home. It's hard to explain to a 3 year old so they understand and don't worry that daddy needs to be gone for a little while. She would say to me, "So is he at the doctor or not - just tell me." My explanation of rehab apparently wasn't sufficient.  Her going to see him was the best explanation.                                                                                                              

She was intimidated with the building and apprehensive about going in, but once she saw him she had a permanent grin on her face and stayed by his side the entire visit. A great visit for each of us!

This week will be his last week and he'll be home on Monday. His plan is to stick with 90 meetings in 90 days to stay focused and on track. I know how difficult of a journey this is, and it becomes a little more challenging when you're back in the real world. Praying it will all go as planned.

Before we could visit him we had to attend two Al - Anon meetings. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have to say I really enjoyed the two that I attended. In fact, I found one that I decided to attend  regularly. It's nice to be in a group with supportive people that hold no judgements and have very similar stories. I learned that Al -Anon for us is working the 12 Steps for Serenity. After years of struggles with an addict it's time for me to find my peace.

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locs

Yesterday I went in for my hair consultation for my locs. It's a little overwhelming trying to decide the size of locs, but this is what I decided.

Tuesday is the big day and I can't wait!

It's interesting though the responses I get from people when I say that I'm getting locs. I've gotten everything from that's interesting to don't you just let your hair get really dirty and don't comb it?

I'm well aware of how most of the world stereotypes black women by their hair. I think I've shared in past blogs how people approach me or don't approach me depending on the style of my hair.

I decided a few years ago that natural was going to be it for me. No more chemical relaxers and no flatiron on my hair daily - I'm just going to do me and people can make all the prejudgements that they want. If you're going to make a decision about me based on my hair I don't want you in my life anyway.      

I decided to grow my hair out due to a bad h…

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently.


There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so quick to judge b…

Words...

Boy am I happy for Monday!

I had a draining Sunday due to a situation that happened and stayed in my thoughts longer than it should have. So today I'm going to write about it and release it.

A gentleman around the age of 60 that had both legs amputated decided that myself and a coworker was his verbal punching bag. As he screamed at us he always managed to say, I'm an amputee in each sentence. We both remained as calm as humanely possible, and I mentally reminded myself as the horrible and hurtful words were spewing out of his mouth - hurting people often hurt people as a result of their unresolved issues. But, what I also was reminded of  how damaging words can be.

I went home and had dinner with my family, relaxed, and did my usual night routine, but I continued hearing his hateful words. I couldn't seem to shake those thoughts. It could be that I hadn't experienced behavior as such after I left home at 18, so I wasn't mentally prepared for it, or he triggered a…