Skip to main content

Thankful and Blessed

Each morning when I wake I am always thankful to be blessed with another day. This morning when I woke I was reminded that 14 years ago I was at a stage 4 with cancer. December 2013 marks 14 years of me being cancer free.

I was at my best I thought 14 years ago. I had always been a clean eater, and at that time in my life I was spending 2-3 hours in the gym along with hiking regularly. I looked great but wasn't feeling great. I started having weird cravings for ice chips and carrots, and I was feeling tired and weak most days. But I continued life as I knew it. After months of ignoring how I was feeling I finally decided to search for a doctor. I grew up with home remedies and very little doctor visits - I am not one to have a family doctor. I decided to take the advice of a magazine that had a list of the top ten doctors in Phoenix, and was fortunate enough to get in. I struggled with the how's and the why me at the beginning. I shouldn't be sick with the healthy lifestyle that I lived, but all I could do was listen to my doctors and pray.

I had a prayer chain through my church and supportive friends and family through this journey. After several failed attempts of alternative treatments I decided on surgery. The day of my surgery as I was prepped and ready to go my pastor came in and said, " Lets pray before you go." I will never forget that in his prayer he said, " If there's any reason that Carolyn should not be having this surgery please reveal it to us." It was seconds later that my doctor came in and said, " Why didn't you tell me that you're anemic - we will have to do a few blood transfusions during surgery." That was my message from God - I got dressed and went home. Finally in December the surgery took place and I have been blessed with my health since.                            

Through this journey I have learned that I shouldn't ever question why me - why not me? I also embrace every single minute in my life and continue to listen to what my body is telling me.                                    

As for the carrot and ice chips cravings I learned that carrots fight cancer cells and the ice chips was because I was anemic. Who knew?



I am grateful for all of my problems. After each one was overcome, I became stronger and more able to meet those that were still to come. I grew in all my difficulties.
-- James Cash Penney


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek

Happiness

Lies and Secrets

I don't want to say that I work really hard to be a good person, because that would imply that's not the true essence of who I am. The way I live my life is simple - honesty, loyalty, trust, and prayer. If you live your life based on lies, I don't trust anything that you say or do. It's a personal thing. When you grow up in an environment based on secrets and lies, you value and respect honesty. I had the honesty conversation with one of my granddaughters last night when my grandson blurted out some things that are going on in their home. Immediately my granddaughter reprimanded him stating that they're not suppose to tell people their parents business. I'm not going to lie, when she said that to him, the flashbacks started coming. I calmly explained to her that adults should never ask children to keep their secrets or lies, and if they live in fear of their business being told, maybe they should be living their life right, because I'm good with people