Skip to main content

Blessed

I have to share how blessed I feel hearing what Bent not Broken means to so many people. I've heard from people that have lost loved ones, jobs, homes, struggled with addiction. I love how they didn't allow their circumstance to define them or destroy them. It's not always easy to find the positive in situations - it's refreshing and uplifting to hear from those that have the will and desire to not be defeated.

When you're not the one fighting the battle it's easy to say they need to get over it, move on, quit living in the past. I can tell you first hand it's not that easy. Overcoming our past takes diligence. It takes re-training our thought process and filling our brain with positive thoughts. It's critical to be able to say "I Matter." There were many times growing up that I questioned that. It took me many years to understand that the brick walls in my path had holes in them. I just had to take the step to walk through them. Change takes both time and effort, along with energy. It a lot easier to dig a deep hole for yourself and shut the world out. It's a choice to accept being Bent not Broken.

I also understand wanting friends and loved ones to get over it and move on. There's been several times that I had the same thought with certain people. That's when it's time for me to move on and remind myself that I alone can't change anyone. They have to want it and work hard at it for themselves.                                                                                         
I've learned while dealing with those fighting the demons of their past that we need to show understanding, we need to listen without responding - control our thoughts. We need to offer prayer and give hope, and if you have to walk away for awhile never stop praying.

Blessings to all of you on your journey.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...