Skip to main content
I always look forward to my Fridays - I don't cook on Fridays and I barely clean the house - it's my be lazy day.

This evening we're taking the twins out for their birthday - love the one on one dinners because we get to catch up on what's happening in their world.                                                                                                                                                                                  

I know being a teen in 2012 is extremely different from being a teen in the 70's. I'm part of an anti - bullying group that goes into schools and talks to kids about accepting differences and standing up for their peers... school is a tough place to be now days. One of my grandchildren that's in 6th grade was sharing with me the other day about some boys at her school playing basketball during lunch and one getting mad when his team lost. She said he started yelling at one of the kids saying that he's the reason that there's no jobs here and he needs to go back where he came from. I explained to her that this is what he hears his parents say... adults are part of the bullying problem even though they don't want to admit it.

I really don't remember kids being blatantly rude when I was growing up, but then again we were taught manners and to be considerate of others. We lived by "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."



Anyway, we haven't told them where we're going so I can't share our venue until tomorrow just in case they happen to read this.

Enjoy your Friday!

                                                                                                                     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...