Skip to main content

Lover of Valentine's Day

Valentines Day is just around the corner. Personally that's one holiday (if you can call it that) I've never bought into. My feeling is, it's just another overly commercialized day that retailers guilt people to spend money on. I shared that opinion with my 10 year old granddaughter, and her response was, "How can you not like Valentine's Day, it's a day of love."

Do you really have to take one day out of 365 of them to show and tell someone that you love and care about them? I don't think so. I pick up random gift items for  the people in my life through out the year, along with putting cards in the mail, or sending a text message when I'm thinking of them. I know it's fun for kids... they get to pick out a cute box of cards for their classmates and decorate boxes to put them in, but truthfully, it gave me anxiety as a kid. I had the stress of creating a beautiful box that would be displayed in the classroom, and then the headache of what card to give to what kid. I can't give a greeting card that the message isn't right for that particular person - There has to be thought behind it for me.

So take some time to think about what it is that you love about Valentine's Day. Is it the material items that just end up becoming sentimental possession's?  I know that I don't want or need a stuffed animal, or balloons... not interested in chocolate unless I happen to be craving it on Feb. 14th, and lingerie is a word that's not in my vocabulary. But who am I?

I'm not telling any of you romantics to quit your yearly routine of celebrating the day. I just ask that you spread the same love through out the entire year versus a designated day. Maybe there should be a Just Because Day.

There's some really funny definitions of Valentines Day in the Urban Dictionary... at least I think they are.  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=valentine's%20day







Happy February 14th!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...