Skip to main content

My Kinky Curly Hair

How many of you have major hair issues? I've been fighting with my hair since my first hair cut it in 6th grade. It probably didn't help that it was cut at the neighborhood barber shop - Al's in Tucson. There's times that I miss the days of my braided pigtails being held up by the rubber bands with the big colorful balls...hair life was easy back then. If you're not African American or don't have thick curly hair, you probably haven't experienced the nightmare of finding someone to give you a good cut. It was Feb 16, 2011 when I last cut my hair. I went to an acquaintance that I like and trusted - he assured me he could cut ethnic hair. I'm not going to judge him and say that he can't, but mine he couldn't. I also have to take into consideration that he had just returned from New York Fashion Week interviewing designers and celebrities for a week. As a result, he was exhausted and over booked when he returned. I know, that should have been my red flag. After that day I vowed not to cut my hair for a year.. it's almost here! The shaved hair on the side and back is grown out, and the front is now how I want it. I feel it's time to take off the bandanas and baseball caps that I've been sporting and get a style. But I feel I've come too far to  cut it all off now. I normally have a short cut that requires trimming every 6 weeks, so to go a year is huge for me. I was confident that I could do an afro again, but that's not working out either...looks like Don King's hair. To cut or not to cut, that is the question. Like Tasha Mack says, "Every time a woman cuts off her hair ...somewhere a little Black girl cries."-Tasha Mack 

Carolyn Murray
My usual style








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...