Skip to main content

Giving Thanks During My Storm

I seem to be having a month of questioning answered prayers and hope.

I'm a very positive and optimistic person, but I've had several hopes and prayers lately that have led to disappointment. I see Facebook status about answered prayers, hear conversations on answered prayers, and wonder when will mine be answered?
I had this conversation with a girlfriend of mine yesterday and she expressed she had been feeling the same lately. It just so happened that she had read a devotional that morning which talked about answered prayers during our storms. She asked me if I thank God for the struggles in my life. No, was my reply. I had never thought of thanking God for the rough times, but it makes sense that I should - it's an act in faith. He wants us to learn to walk by faith and not by sight - to have faith during the confusing times. Let's be honest, it's not easy to give thanks during devastation, heartache, or when we feel like our world is caving in. But God wants us to give thanks and remember that He is in control and has not abandoned us. Life is full of situations and someday I will see His plan, but until then I need to give thanks for His promise. He really does understand our pain - I had to remind myself that Jesus lived this life and is acquainted with every situation that I face. He knows rejection, grief, disappointment, hurt, temptation, and loss. I am to give thanks in all circumstances and be a faithful steward of all the life that surrounds me.

1 Thessalonians 5:18English Standard Version (ESV)
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
English Standard Version (ESV)

Peace, Love & Hugs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...