Skip to main content

July Memories

July is here and it takes me back to my mom in the hospital.

She passed away July of 2010... I really don't think about it much, but occasionally something I see or hear reminds me of her. July is obviously going to be my yearly reminder since it's also the month of her birthday.

When I think of the last minutes of her life it replays in my mind like it just happened. I still hold the vision of my sisters and I circled around her bed in Hospice offering her ice chips, asking her if she was in pain, and making small talk as she stared at us listening quietly. I remember leaning over her saying, "Mama, are you sure you're not in pain?" She looked up at me and in a low voice and mumbled, " no pain." My sister was holding her hand and stroking her head, I was reading a book on the stages of death as we continued making small talk. My sister was still holding her hand when I saw her slowly remove it and place her hand under my mother's nose. She looked over at my sister and I and said, "I don't feel her breathing... I think she's gone."

One by one we kissed her forehead, told her we loved her and said goodbye before we notified those in the waiting room and the others by phone.

My thought was what a peaceful and beautiful death - I can only pray for the same.

So this month for me will consist of memories of the woman that gave me life - she will always be missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...