Skip to main content

Thank You Emma

I learned something about myself when the grey hairs started creeping in quicker and quicker - I'm a little vain. Initially I thought I could embrace it, but I wasn't getting the beautiful white head of hair that I could love. Seeing the grey at my roots and along the side by my ears just wasn't working for me, so I decided to fight it with going blonde.



I had scheduled my appointment a week before I went to Vegas, which gave me too much time to think about my transformation. I'm much better at being spontaneous when I want a drastic change - too much thought leads me to anxiety. I came home with a list of reasons not to do it. Such as, what if my skin color is too dark, what if it ends up orange or yellow, what if I end up bald? I received confirmation through this on how hard change really is, so I knew that I had to face my fears or there would be no change. This holds true to every thing in life - we can't get different results by doing the same thing. So a blonde I am!
What I really want to share today is a reminder of how God places people in our paths when we least expect it. I was reminded of this yesterday at the salon. It was a first time visit for me so I didn't know who would be my stylist. As I sat looking around I was drawn to the ones with the edgy cuts and fun hair colors. I was wondering which one I would get when this young girl with a soft voice and normal hair ( not a risk taker by the look of her) called my name. My first thought was, are you kidding me? As we walked to her station and I sat, I could barely hear her as she spoke to me. I have to admit I immediately prayed for guidance on my decision, but as I prayed I was drawn to her eyes, and it was at that moment that I really looked at her. I saw sadness. As she quietly worked I put my mom hat on and started asking questions and pointing out things, such as she shouldn't wear shoes like that to stand all day because she's going to ruin her feet. She explained she woke up late and her ride was waiting and she couldn't find the right shoes. So, you stayed up to late was my next question. She explained how her mother is ill and she dropped out of school at 14 to help support the family, so she was up doing what needs to be done around the house, not partying like I had thought. Her voice finally became more than a whisper as she said, " This is what I have to do right now, but I don't really know what I want to do with my life. I never had the opportunity to play a sport or be in a club, but I do know that I'm a humble person. I'm not above anyone, but I'm not beneath anyone either, and I will always continue to educate myself. There's always something to learn." As she shared her story my heart broke, and I knew why I was sitting in her chair. We had 3 hours of a great conversation that left me inspired by her strength and commitment to her family and to God. Her name is Emma and I prayed for her while she shared her story and worked her magic on making me fabulous. I will continue to keep her in my prayers. Here's a young girl that could have gone in a lot of different directions, but she's doing right. 
The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it. ~ H. Norman Schwarzkopf

 I'm so thankful that I met her. So here's to Emma that changed my look and touched my heart...blessings to this sweet girl.

Peace, love & hugs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...