Skip to main content

My Friend


As I sipped my coffee and read through my emails this morning, my mind kept slipping away to thoughts of a very good friend of mine.

We met when I moved to Phoenix in 1989. We have had one disagreement and lots of ups and downs that just happen to workout when one of us is going through a rough time the other has already been through it. How awesome is that!
A Friend is one to whom one may pour out the contents of 
    one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that the 
    gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth 
    keeping and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.
                                                                            - Arabian Proverb
This is her rough time and I've already lived it. I know the feeling, the hurt, and the pain she is feeling. I know the endless prayers we say in hopes of change. I know how it feels to get through a day with a smile on our face, but have a heart that is breaking. I see the sadness in her eyes that I've seen in my own. But through all of this what I really see is a blessing. We are blessed to have each other to walk with through the difficult times in our life journey. I find it interesting the people that God places in our lives. We are so different in so many ways, but our life is really so similar. I'm a bit high strung, like loud music, dancing and singing out loud to name a few. She doesn't dance, sings preschool songs, and loves to bake. We do share a love for coffee - although there's days when I feel like I could use some vodka in mine, and she would never!                 

On a serious note, we both share the knowledge and experience of dealing with family members struggling with addiction. It's a hard and exhausting walk, but you can't stop. I always think of the saying If God brought you to it, He'll get you through it. (God and a good friend)

My point to all of this is cherish your friendships and be there for one another. It's not our place to judge - we're here for encouragement and support. God has placed them in our life for a reason.

Proverbs 17:17 
17 A friend loves at all times...
Have a great weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have An Open Heart

As I was sorting through pictures this morning I came across pictures of my seven-year-old granddaughter with girls that she met for the first time on a 2 day stay in Prescott. I was drawn to the smiles on their faces and the love in their eyes. They met, accepted each other, and acted as if they had been lifelong friends. Oh, how I had forgotten about the innocence of a child. The color of skin, the size of a body, the structure of a face does not matter. They are ready to accept and love unconditionally until we and society teach them differently. There was nothing but smiles and laughter as they danced, made beaded jewelry, and ate. They made sure that they all were a part of whatever they were participating in. They cared about each other's feelings and made sure that everyone was having fun and was happy. Why is it that we grow to become so obsessed with appearance and behavior of others that we miss seeing the light or the struggles in others?  We're so q...

Does Color Matter

I know I said today was going to be my day off, but I just came home from visiting a friend that was telling me about her friend's daughter that is Asian, in first grade and attending a new school. Apparently, she is being ostracized by her peers because of her ethnicity. Isn't the age of a first grader 5 or 6? This just proves my theory that racism will never end. In fact, I think it's getting worse. I base my theory on me being an interracial child (Black, Mexican, Indian & White) that was in first grade in 1965 at a predominately white school; meaning no Blacks. This was my life through school until the last two years of high school when a couple of Black students came. If there were any signs of racism I didn't see it or hear it... don't you think I should have considering the era?  So maybe that's it... we've become a society that thinks it's okay to freely express our opinion of another human being without any regards to the effect it may hav...
I shared with you how I had my son leave my home because he's not in a good place right now.  Yesterday he was sitting outside my home when I pulled up.  I asked him why he was here - Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful he's okay but I can't be an enabler.                                                                               He had a couple of reasons why he popped in, but I know the real one is that he thought no one would be home and he was hoping he could get in to eat, crash, and find something to sell at a pawn shop. As horrible as that sounds it's the reality of how a drug addict operates.                                                     ...